Written by Nancy Lee, as part of her Social Marketing Sightings theme.
The Ad Council here in the U.S. aired a special webinar on January 21st 2021 titled; Ad Council and COVID Collaborative’s Vaccine Education Initiative: Sharing our insights, campaign preview & partnership opportunities.
Some of the major takeaways for me were about recommended priority audiences, messages, and messengers:
- Their extensive research indicated that, worryingly, 50% of survey respondents were “hesitant”, meaning they will “wait and see” and then decide whether to get the vaccine.
- Their hesitance was influenced primarily by their lack of confidence in the vaccine:
- It was developed so quickly. Is it safe?
- Is it effective (e.g., worth the risk)?
- This is more about politics than protecting citizens.
- Desired Benefit: Protect others and myself.
- Acknowledge their concerns; show empathy and respect.
- Keep a positive tone.
- Physicians are, for some, more credible messengers than scientists.
- Emphasize the benefit of protection.
- Remind them what they will miss out on if we don’t end this pandemic soon.
As always, use trusted sources to answer questions.